Home‎ > ‎Weekend Rides‎ > ‎Ride reports‎ > ‎2010 Ride Reports‎ > ‎2010-06‎ > ‎

06 June: Hertford to Birchanger via Clavering Lakes

posted 6 Jun 2010, 13:58 by South Herts   [ updated 24 Nov 2015, 23:50 ]
Stuart writes: Seven people were waiting for me when I arrived at the start in Hertford. We set off and took the Wadesmill road straight up Port Hill. At Wadesmill we turned left on the old A10 and went up hill again past the Thomas Clarkson memorial (surely no relation to Jeremy?).  It was here that Clarkson decided to devote his life to abolishing the Slave Trade.
 The Thomas Clarkson memorial is on this hill out of Wadesmill.

The old A10 is now quiet following the building of the new bypass and we quickly made progress northwards to Colliers End then dived back into the lanes and cut across to Puckeridge. We pushed on through Braughing and the Pelhams and then joined the B road to Newport, quickly leaving this on a minor lane that took us round the back of Clavering and then to the fishing lodge.
 The fishing lodge
 at Clavering Lakes

As we left the clouds were starting to darken and rain seemed inevitable. Fortunately it held off and we headed back to Clavering village and on to Rickling and Quendon where we took the lovely minor lane to Manuden.  After Manuden we took more minor lanes to meet the old A11 near Stansted Mountfitchet.  Despite being bypassed by the M11 this road was very busy and we had a struggle to get across it.  We quickly turned off and headed to Birchanger where we stopped at the Three Willows for lunch.
 Three Willows at Birchanger

As we left after lunch Jon C arrived having been to the original lunch stop at Sawbridgeworth, where he had met Barry out training for the Vets triennial 100 mile ride.  Rain was starting to fall, however this didn't amount to much and after negotiating the traffic around the Birchanger interchange we headed into the lanes again around the Hallingburys and south of Bishops Stortford.  By now it was dry and the sun broke through the clouds so waterproofs were swiftly removed.

We headed into the wind through Green Tye to Much Hadham where John risked riding his recumbent through the shallow water, then left us for home in Ware.  After Much Hadham we went via Barwick Ford, crossed the old A10, through Standon Green End and stopped off at Whitehill Golf club, where Judy grabbed the last piece of sponge cake.  We sat on the terrace overlooking the course which was very pleasant, although there seemed to be few golfers enjoying it.
 Barwick Ford
 Whitehill Golf Club

After tea we all dispersed to take our separate ways home. I had clocked 70 miles when I got back.